Develop the skills required to negotiate, persuade and influence…
To reach an agreement that’s acceptable to both parties you’ll need to negotiate effectively and have a number of key strategies and tactics at your disposal. This is a practical course. It’s packed with exercises and practice to help you to build the necessary skills you’ll need to be able to enter real-life negotiations with confidence and understanding.
The course will focus on:
- Giving you a good understanding of the negotiation process.
- Building your skills to enable you to negotiate from a position of strength.
- Giving you the confidence to respond to the changing circumstances of the negotiation itself and the people directly and indirectly involved.
This negotiation training course takes you past a theoretical understanding and includes practical exercises that use accelerated learning principles to ensure that learning is maximised – delivering maximum benefit for you, your organisation and both negotiating parties.
Benefits of negotiation training
- You will develop a broader understanding of the negotiation process, the parties involved, strategies you can use and tactics that are available.
- Understand the planning and preparation required to be effective.
- Listen and question to gain the right information.
- You’ll be more aware of the impact your behaviour has on others and how to use this to your advantage. Persuade and convince others, influencing their actions and attitudes.
- Develop relationships, values, build rapport and confidence when negotiating, influencing and persuading.
- Gain agreement between divergent interests of two or more parties.
- Increase your confidence and personal drive.
Who should attend?
You may be negotiating regularly without having had any formal negotiation training, new to, or moving into a role that will involve negotiating internally or externally.
Comprehensive 2 day in-house course
This negotiation training course will enable you to conduct negotiations successfully in a range of situations. Through an understanding of the choice of tactics that may be employed, you will be able to plan and conduct negotiations effectively, taking account of how the other party may respond, so that you are clear about your own options at all times. At the heart of this negotiation training is a recognition that long term relationships are best served by finding win-win solutions.
- Why and when we negotiate – the range of situations in which we are required (or choose) to negotiate. How negotiations can take different forms.
- Self-understanding – how to assess your skill in different aspects of negotiation.
- Understanding the other party – putting yourself in the other party’s position, understanding their motivations and options, strengths and weaknesses.
- Strategies and tactics – different approaches and the circumstances in which each is appropriate; how to create a genuine win-win and plan for success. How to plan effectively and know when to adjust the plan.
- Building skills – understanding how to plan, question and listen effectively and in ways that maximise the likelihood of a successful outcome.
- Complex negotiations and using alternative media – how to plan multi-stage and/or competitive negotiations and the adjustments needed to negotiate successfully when not in a face to face situation.
- Building self-confidence and credibility – the components of personal impact and the boundaries between assertiveness and aggression. How to rapidly develop relationships of mutual trust and understanding.
- The balance of power and positive influence – understand how power shifts during negotiations, how to maximise your power and stay in control.